Tuesday, September 12, 2006

driven

::: wanting to drive -- with its accompanying anxiety and exhilaration -- is transcultural...here in kobe, as well as throughout much of japan, the driving test is anything but a cake walk, a reality that continues to breath life into the stubborn rumor that a first-time failure for the foreigner is the norm rather the exception...

.

...yet even among japanese youth (the driving age is 18), we hear that driving inspectors are regarded more foe than friend...a flock of 1:00pm test-takers get ready in the waiting room (they will be assigned to small groups of 3 or 4 per car, where each person will take turns being passenger and driver, and then the group will await their results together)...

.





.

...outside, those with later appointments conduct walk-throughs of the test course...

.



.

...i remember my driving test at the pomona (california) dmv...my examiner told me to go there, do this, reverse, park, and so forth, almost in an arbitrary manner...

.

...not so in kobe...

.

...uniformity and precision frame the entire driving process...most drivers face a standardized test course, like a life-size hot-wheels play set that i dreamed about as a kid, comprised of intersections, a railroad crossing, parking areas, all of which set the stage for a sequence of several technical maneuvers which the driver must perform with a slight margin of error...

.

...for example, see these yellow bars hanging loosely on coiled springs?

.


.

.


...touch one of them with the test car and you've automatically failed...waiting to drive -- the counterbalance to wanting -- is transcultural too...

.

.

...awesome eric, our moral support and japanese mouthpiece...

.

.

...walking away happy that both of us passed the written part...bring on those yellow bars!...

.

...we thank God for our friends' generosity (thanks eric and sue), by which we've upgraded our car (with minimal drain on our ministry funds)...we're now zoomzooming around town in a mazda premacy that allows us to carry more people and gear...

.

.

...we'll miss you hike...

:::

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get a walk through on the course when I took the test, although I was allowed to stand outside and watch. Also, we didn't have the yellow bar thing.
I did take a driving lesson before I took the test. That was extremely helpful. I passed on the first try, but I wouldn't have without the lesson, and since the course was a costly 3 hour train ride away, the $50 I spent on the lesson was well worth it.

September 13, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Congratulations on passing the written test! Have fun learning the precision techniques for the driving test...be sure that you check all three mirrors!

Love to read your blog!
Faith

September 13, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Nozomi said...

You traded in my car!! So kana shi, and natsu ka shi the test route...

September 14, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Driving in Japan! Awesome! =)

September 16, 2006 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home